Airspace Concept Evaluation System (ACES)
Developed by NASA for Simulating the physical movement of aircraft in the NAS
- Simulates NAS entities (ATCSCC, ARTCC, TRACON ATC, Airport ATC, Aircraft).
- Simulates NAS ATM operations (TFM, CDR, Separation rules, Sector restrictions, etc).
- Enables testing of alternative roles and forecasting methods for ATM Command and Control.
- Models the dynamic interaction between NAS Agents.
- Used for analyzing Airspace Concepts; developing decision support and automation tools.
- Fast-time, nationwide simulation can include one to thousands of flights.
- Full flight schedule with flight plans, 4-D gridded winds, gate-to-gate operations.
- High-fidelity 4-D aircraft trajectory models; aircraft physical models; pilot-based control.
Airspace Concept Evaluation System with Communications, Navigation and Surveillance (AwCNS) Modeling and Simulation Capability
Developed at GRC to add CNS functions into ACES Simulation Environment
- CNS enhancements added during development for realistic Flight / ATC / ATM / CNS interactions.
- Models include: VHF/Voice, CPDLC over VDL2, GPS and VOR/DME Nav, SSR and ADS-B Surv
- Generates detailed CNS system performance data in NAS-wide, air traffic environment.
- Provides flexibility for integration of new models (process already established).
- Fully configurable for Aircraft/CNS System equipage and varying CNS system parameters.
- Takes full advantage of ACES functionality including NAS Entities and ATM/Flight Operations.
OPNET / OPNET Modeler
- Discrete event simulation package
- Protocols and Applications
- Communications systems
- Includes hundreds of protocols and devices
- New protocols and devices can be created
- Modular design
- Supports fixed, mobile, and satellite nodes
Other Simulation and Modeling Tools
- Satellite Toolkit
- Visualization Capabilities
NASA Glenn Partners in Simulation/Modeling/Analysis
- Cleveland State University
- Ohio University
- CNS Inc.
- Mulkerin Associates
- Seagull Technologies
- ITT Inc.